Call for a consultation 267.337.6524

Bucks County Contempt & Enforcement of Court Orders Lawyers

Divorce proceedings can be stressful, but you’ll likely feel relief once the court delivers its final decree.

Whether the process was cordial or contentious, the orders entered during the divorce process are binding. All parties are expected to follow them, whether they’re parenting plans, payment plans, or divisions of property.

If one party decides they don’t want to follow the Court’s orders, they could be in contempt, and they might face penalties. You may be apprehensive about going back to court after divorce proceedings, but you can hold your ex accountable to the court-ordered agreement.

Knowing when something is a misunderstanding or if you need to file an enforcement order can be challenging. You can turn to Gibson Family Law, PLLC, for help understanding family law. Attorney Susan Gibson has exclusively practiced family law for almost 15 years.

Contact Susan by (267) 337-6524 or use the online contact form to schedule a consultation today.

What Is Contempt?

All orders regarding child support, child custody, property division, or alimony are binding. It’s usually possible to modify child support, custody, or alimony orders, but property division is usually non-modifiable. If one of the parties does not follow these Orders they risk running into a “contempt for noncompliance” charge.

Contempt can be punishable with, fines, probations, suspending drivers’ licenses, court fees, and in very extreme cases, the Court can order imprisonment until the party comes into compliance with the Order violated.

Custody Violations

When an Order is entered regarding child custody, parents are expected to follow the orders closely. In some cases, a parent may try to flagrantly disobey the orders.

Interfering with Custody

All custody Orders outline exactly which parent has custody of the children on a set schedule.  If either parent fails to exchange custody at the end of their custody time, and they withhold custody from the other parent, they are in violation of the Order and can be found in contempt.

Interfering with Communication

Custody arrangements are made in the child’s best interest and often provide for reasonable telephone, text, or video call access for the non-custodial parent. A parent may be in contempt if they interfere with allowing that communication.  Likewise if one parent insists on unreasonably excessive communication with the children when they are with the other parent, that also can be seen as grounds for Contempt or modification of the Order.

Denying Custody for Failing to Pay Child Support

Although not keeping up with child support payments is a contemptible offense, it does not give one parent the right to deny custody to the other parent. These are separate matters. Parents not receiving child support payments should pursue contempt proceedings against the other parent rather than risk their own contempt allegations by limiting contact.

Missing Payments of Child Support

Child support Orders must be followed and if you fear you may start missing payments because your income has changed, filing a Petition to Modify will usually protect you from allegations of willful non-payment until the court can consider your request for a modification.

To modify an Order, the filing party must establish that there has been a substantial change in circumstances:  for example, either custody has changed or one parent’s income has changed substantially.

Missing Child Support Payments

Child support payments are determined after an analysis of a parents’ financial obligation to help raise their child. Often a contentious issue, some parents may decide to abstain from paying to protest or to hurt their ex-partner.

Whatever the reason, missing child support payments is considered contempt of the court’s order and faces harsh penalties. The Pennsylvania Bureau of Child Support Enforcement handles these issues.

Missing Alimony Payments

Cases involving alimony can be prickly, but if the court has ordered the payments must happen, it’s considered contempt when those payments aren’t made. Payments must be made in full, unless they’ve been legally modified.

Contempt Penalties

There are different penalties for failing to comply with court orders. There could be jail time, fines, or sanctions.

Custody Violations

If a parent has violated a custody agreement, they may face allegations of contempt. If that party is found in contempt by the Judge, the Judge could Order them to pay, a maximum fee of $500, attorneys’ fees and costs, or even suspend their drivers license.  In extreme cases, the court can also Order up to six months in jail (provided they include a condition for release, such as fines or otherwise complying with the original Order).

Child Support Penalties

If a parent is found in contempt for failing to pay child support payments most often the Court will Order that parent to pay a large lump sum toward past-due payments, they may order a monthly increase to their basic support amount to cover past due payments, and they may also assess fines, court costs, and legal fees paid by the other party.

The state is authorized to seize the an individual’s financial assets like their bank accounts, lottery winnings (more than $2,500), federal or state tax refunds, or place liens against their property, anytime past due support is owed.

The state can also suspend licenses, like their driver’s license or even hunting licenses.

Missing Alimony Payments

Pennsylvania courts can enforce alimony payments using several methods. They could garnish up to half of your spouse’s wages, seize their property, require collateral to enforce payments, collect rent or profit from real estate earnings, or award you interest for missed payments.

Contempt Proceedings

Contempt proceedings for violating the various family court Orders are largely similar. If you believe your ex-partner isn’t meeting their obligations, document the violations and prepare to file a petition to ask the court to enforce those Orders.

You’ll likely need to deliver a copy of the petition to your ex, then appear for a hearing in front of a judge to argue your case. You’ll have the opportunity to present evidence of contempt. That could be texts, emails, bank records, cancelled checks, etc. A family law attorney can help you prepare for a contempt hearing and present your case to help right this wrong.

Contact Gibson Family Law, PLLC for Help with Contempt

Going back to court after receiving orders following a divorce may seem overkill, but having the legal representation you need to clear the air in your situation is a must. Gibson Family Law, PLLC, has the experience you need and the compassion to ensure you’re heard.

Attorney Susan Gibson will listen to your story and advise you on your best course of action. She has the experience to back you up in court, but she’s prepared to help you before that becomes a necessity.

If you feel the court Orders aren’t being followed, you should call Susan. She has 15 years of family law experience working on cases like yours. Contact her today (267) 337-6524.


Divorce looks different for everyone, depending on their circumstances. Pennsylvania is a no-fault state for divorce, and the process can get complicated. However, your family law attorney informs you of Pennsylvania divorce requirements and helps you file the necessary paperwork.

Read More
Equitable Distribution

Pennsylvania law determines the division of property based on what’s equitable, not equal. The court’s goal is to put both parties in almost the same position they would be if they remained married. Your attorney will evaluate your assets, highlight any issues, and assess all available arguments in your case.

Read More
Child Custody

Many parents have varying degrees of shared physical custody of their children, and much goes into the final decision. In Bucks County's Court Conciliation and Evaluation Services program, an evaluator will talk to parents, children, and other relatives to give the court information on both parties to resolve any child custody disputes.

Read More
Child Support

With adequate information, your attorney advocates for your position so that the Court can determine the amount you can expect to pay in child support. Cooperation and transparency are key to achieving a desirable outcome. If things change in the future, your child support may be modified.

Read More
Spousal Support / APL

Like child support, spousal support is driven by income and earning capacity. For complex income situations, your family law attorney works with and collaborates with forensic accountants to determine net income available for support.

Read More
Prenuptial Agreements

Although newlyweds don’t consider the possibility of divorce, a prenuptial agreement determines what happens to your assets if one occurs. Your attorney can establish a plan if you and your spouse divorce to ensure your future is secure.

Read More
Postnuptial Agreements

Like prenuptial agreements, a postnuptial agreement sets forth what will happen to you and your spouse’s assets after a divorce. The difference is that a postnuptial agreement occurs after you’re already married.

Read More
LGBTQ Divorce

Like any divorce, same-sex couples must endure a similar process when they wish to end their marriage. However, there could be unique factors that could come up in your case. Let a family law attorney listen to your story and provide a smooth divorce process.

Read More
Cohabitation Agreements

Some couples may decide they don't want to get married but will want to find ways to protect their financial interests if they move in with their significant other. Getting help with a cohabitation agreement can save time and money before an issue arises.

Read More
Contempt & Enforcement

Court orders are binding. Modifying them is possible, but if anyone isn't following a court order, they can be held in contempt and it can be enforced. Attorney Susan Gibson can explain that process and help you.

Read More

How can we help you?

"*" indicates required fields