Call for a consultation 267.337.6524

Bucks County Child Custody Modification Lawyers

You might have a sense of relief after you receive a custody order for your children, especially if you’ve been worried that the other parent involved may not agree to the parenting plan.

That relief might be dashed if something in your life has drastically changed your circumstances or there is a dispute with the custody order. It might be possible to modify the custody order to accommodate these new circumstances, whether it’s simply having a court approve the new parenting plan or defending the changes in front of a judge.

For your custody modification needs, you should turn to an experienced family law attorney. Attorney Susan Gibson with Gibson Family Law, PLLC, has been exclusively practicing family law for nearly 15 years in Bucks County.

Susan will be able to file the proper paperwork you need and keep you informed as your case proceeds. She’s ready to discuss your needs, and help you reach an equitable resolution.

Call (267) 337-6524 or use her online contact form to schedule an appointment.

What are Child Custody Orders?

A custody order is a written order signed by a judge. It declares the amount of time a guardian, whether that’s a parent or other caretaker, will have to watch over a child, or who can decide certain aspects of a child’s life.

These types of custody are labeled as physical (where the children live) or legal (how decisions are made) custody. Generally, both parents in Pennsylvania will have shared legal custody, which covers matters like which schools the children attend, religious matters, where they obtain healthcare.

Breaking Down Physical Custody

Physical custody refers to children’s living arrangements. Pennsylvania recognizes three separate types of physical custody: shared, primary, or sole custody. With shared custody, children will split their time between two permanent homes.

In a primary custody scenario, parents will still share custody, but one parent will be the “primary” or “custodial” parent. This parent cares for the children for more than 50% of the overnights in a two-week period of time and could be responsible for more physical care of the child.  The other parent will have overnight custody of the children at all other times and may also have some periods of custody that do not include overnight time. A large number of parents in Bucks and Montgomery Counties share physical custody equally with each parent having 7 overnights of custody every 14 days.

Finally, and rarely with sole custody, one parent has 100% of the overnights and custody time of the children, and the other parent may not have any physical custody time with the children in those circumstances or may have very limited periods of time with the children, which may even be supervised if the circumstances warrant supervision. It’s important to note, parents in these situations may still have shared legal custody.

What Do You Need to Achieve Custody Modifications?

Suppose you feel your circumstances have changed after a final custody order. In that case, you may be able to apply to modify the orders pertaining to child custody.

Even if you make a verbal agreement to change the child support amount or parent plan, the court may still hold everyone to the orders made in the final divorce agreement, so it is important to discuss any intended changes with an experienced attorney who can guide you through that process.

The Process to Receive Modification of a Court Order

To prove the need to modify family court orders, you’ll need to show there was a significant change in your circumstances.  Any request to modify child custody will need sufficient evidence to show your circumstances have changed. For instance, you might have had a change in employment, so the custody schedule may need to be updated to allow you time with your children while also going to work.

The court will decide if the change should be approved or denied. Your chances of success depend on how well you can prove a change in circumstances. A family law attorney will be able to walk you through the steps you should follow in order to have the best outcome possible.

Let Gibson Family Law, PLLC Help with Your Child Custody Modifications

The last thing you may want to do after reaching the final decision in your case is to revisit it. It can be stressful and daunting to review your circumstances alone, but sometimes it is necessary to change the decision reached regarding your child support, custody, or alimony outcomes.

Relying on an experienced Family Law attorney like Susan Gibson can give you a great chance to reach a new agreement with your ex-partner.

Susan can help you show how your circumstances have changed since the court ruled on your child custody, and she’ll help you build your case.

Get started on a consultation today by calling (267) 337-6524 or visiting CONTACT.


Divorce looks different for everyone, depending on their circumstances. Pennsylvania is a no-fault state for divorce, and the process can get complicated. However, your family law attorney informs you of Pennsylvania divorce requirements and helps you file the necessary paperwork.

Read More
Equitable Distribution

Pennsylvania law determines the division of property based on what’s equitable, not equal. The court’s goal is to put both parties in almost the same position they would be if they remained married. Your attorney will evaluate your assets, highlight any issues, and assess all available arguments in your case.

Read More
Child Custody

Many parents have varying degrees of shared physical custody of their children, and much goes into the final decision. In Bucks County's Court Conciliation and Evaluation Services program, an evaluator will talk to parents, children, and other relatives to give the court information on both parties to resolve any child custody disputes.

Read More
Child Support

With adequate information, your attorney advocates for your position so that the Court can determine the amount you can expect to pay in child support. Cooperation and transparency are key to achieving a desirable outcome. If things change in the future, your child support may be modified.

Read More
Spousal Support / APL

Like child support, spousal support is driven by income and earning capacity. For complex income situations, your family law attorney works with and collaborates with forensic accountants to determine net income available for support.

Read More
Prenuptial Agreements

Although newlyweds don’t consider the possibility of divorce, a prenuptial agreement determines what happens to your assets if one occurs. Your attorney can establish a plan if you and your spouse divorce to ensure your future is secure.

Read More
Postnuptial Agreements

Like prenuptial agreements, a postnuptial agreement sets forth what will happen to you and your spouse’s assets after a divorce. The difference is that a postnuptial agreement occurs after you’re already married.

Read More
LGBTQ Divorce

Like any divorce, same-sex couples must endure a similar process when they wish to end their marriage. However, there could be unique factors that could come up in your case. Let a family law attorney listen to your story and provide a smooth divorce process.

Read More
Cohabitation Agreements

Some couples may decide they don't want to get married but will want to find ways to protect their financial interests if they move in with their significant other. Getting help with a cohabitation agreement can save time and money before an issue arises.

Read More
Contempt & Enforcement

Court orders are binding. Modifying them is possible, but if anyone isn't following a court order, they can be held in contempt and it can be enforced. Attorney Susan Gibson can explain that process and help you.

Read More

How can we help you?

"*" indicates required fields